This challenging qualification has been developed for those with significant managerial experience, working as senior managers or hoping to progress into a senior role. It is suitable for a broad range of occupational areas and covers all the essential skills and knowledge needed for effective leadership and taking an active role in your organisation's success. These include reviewing corporate policy and strategy, building commitment to corporate vision and values, and leading on project implementation.
Please note these qualifications are classroom-based VRQ Qualifications that are aimed at developing you as a manager. However you may also study a work-based NVQ at this level.
This qualification is designed for senior managers who are new in their roles, or middle managers who are preparing for promotion. This is a valuable bridge towards Level 7 qualifications, as you can carry credits forward.
This qualification comprises two mandatory units. In the first unit, you will collect and analyse feedback on your personal management practice and effectiveness to help you identify your strengths and prepare an action plan to address areas for improvement. The second unit requires you to critically review relevant management theories or models, and undertake research to inform your own management and leadership practice.
The VRQ provides the theoretical underpinning knowledge to support your performance as a practising manager. This consists of a combination of classroom based delivery and self study. Candidates will be expected to attend a number of classroom-based sessions, no more than one session per month, as well as completing a number of self study units. The VRQ is assessed through a range of assignments which are completed per unit.
Benefits for individuals:
• Understand the role of a senior manager
• Take a critical and informed look at your own performance
• Understand how management theories and models influence management practice
• Develop your ability to critically review ideas and practices
• Carry out relevant research to inform the way you work
Benefits for employers:
• Develop the senior leadership talent pipeline, for effective succession planning and less reliance on external recruitment
• Give prospective senior leaders the tools to understand and evaluate their own performance
The Level 6 Award in Management can lead directly onto the Level 7 Qualifications in Executive and Strategic Management.